Monday, October 4, 2010

Sunday School Songs

My time spent at elementary schools involves a lot of singing in the class room. A lot! Most of the songs are silly songs that introduce the students to new concepts. Things like 'How to ask questions' or 'how they are feelings' while others might introduce them to the alphabet or counting. All of these songs help break up the lesson and keep it moving quickly. Kids have a short attention span so having these helps them burn off energy and keep them engaged in the lesson. On a few occasions some songs have popped up I learned back in my youth during Sunday school.

Two of the most notable are 'deep and wide' and 'I've got the joy joy joy'. Of course, deep and wide doesn't mention anything anything related to Christianity. Now that I think about it… What is that song about? A fountain of extraordinary proportions? The other song, however does reference Christianity. Of course, the Japanese do what other people do when there is a Christian song in the west; remove anything related to Jesus. Its difficult for me not because I'm offended but because I know the missing versus to the song and have to catch myself before I belt out

And if the Devil doesn't like it
He can sit on a tack!
Ouch!
Sit on a tack!
Ouch!
Sit on a tack!
And if the Devil doesn't like it
He can sit on a tack!
Ouch!
Sit on a tack to stay!

I always found that section of the song a bit little mean. Yeah its the devil but no one likes to sit on a tack. That hurts! Maybe a song I should introduce to the children to help them with spelling is; I'm a C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N. Of course, that might not go over well with the school bored. Hahah.

No comments:

Post a Comment